Aberystwyth University's Penglais Campus is a short stroll uphill from the historic seaside town of Aberystwyth, often described as the cultural capital of Wales. With University staff and students from over 100 countries, Aber is a friendly cosmopolitan hub. Familiar high street names jostle with independent shops, cafes and an award-winning Farmers’ Market. It’s a close-knit community and once here, many of our students never want to leave.
Aberystwyth University Students Union has a range of clubs and societies that may be of interest.
Aberystwyth University Students' Union - Welcome to abersu.co.uk
Discover Ceredigion website gives an excellent overview of life in Aberystwyth as well of areas which may be of interest.
Aberystwyth - Discover Ceredigion
Aberystwyth University is a short walk from the local hospital.
Bronglais Hospital - Hywel Dda University Health Board (nhs.wales)
Citizens Advice Bureau
Ceredigion Citizens Advice - How can we help? (cabceredigion.org)
Aberystwyth is situated in mid Wales, on the west coast and has well established public transport links. For information on bus timetables please visit https://www.trawscymru.info/routes/
Our rail station is serviced to provide links throughout Wales and beyond, please visit Aberystwyth Station | National Rail for further information.
Aberystwyth University is passionate about sustainable living and has many policies in place. In 2018, we became the first University in the World to be granted 'Plastic Free University Certificate'.
Please visit our website for further information.
Environment and Sustainability : About Us, Aberystwyth University
We recognise that everyone must place their part to reduce the impact on climate change and achieve the Welsh government’s target of Net Zero by 2030. Below are some links within Aberystwyth which will help you with your individual tasks:
Bins & Recycling - Ceredigion County Council
There are many recycling bins, clothes banks and electric car and bike chargers around the University campus. Please see the map below for details.
University Maps: Discover Aberystwyth , Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth Town Council is passionate about Aberystwyth's environment and is committed to keeping it clean and safe. The Council provides provisions around the Borough for recycling and also works with other public bodies and volunteer groups to provide other services.
Environment - Aberystwyth Council
In Aberystwyth Town Centre there are numerous charity shops as well as shops that collect second hand furniture for resale.
- Talking to your housemates and friends to increase awareness and share ideas about how we can live more sustainably is a great way to gain knowledge and experience of your locality.
- If you notice broken lights, boilers, dripping taps, recycling bins not being provided etc then report these issues to your accommodation provider.
- Remember to switch off lights and appliances when not needed to reduce energy usage and costs.
- Do not leave chargers on when not in use.
- Don’t overfill and reheat kettles unnecessarily.
- Putting a lid on your saucepan significantly reduces the amount of energy used to cook foods.
- Ensure you dress for the weather and put on extra heating rather than turning up the heating thermostat.
- Do not overbuy food and try to reuse leftovers.